Even with proper safety equipment, a bicyclist is no match for a motor vehicle. If you have been hit by a car, bus or truck while riding a bike, a bicycle accident lawyer can help you on the road to recovery.
At George Bush Law, we are here to represent victims of serious bicycle crashes. We fight for vulnerable bicycle crash victims and their families for the justice they deserve
Whether you ride a bicycle for leisure, exercise or as your primary mode of transportation, you’re aware of the dangers of sharing the road with large vehicles. A distracted, drowsy, speeding, aggressive or otherwise careless driver can cause complete devastation in the blink of an eye.
According to the National Highway Traffic Safety Administration, bicycle accidents have been increasing in the last few years. In 2013, there were 743 bicyclists killed and approximately 48,000 injured in motor vehicle accidents. Alcohol was reported in 34 percent of the fatal accidents in 2013.
Other common situations that lead to a bicycle accident include:
– A left-turning vehicle at an intersection or through a gap in traffic
– A right-turning vehicle who is traveling ahead of a cyclist
– A car door opening without looking
– Being side swiped by a passing vehicle
– Rear-ended by a vehicle
– Bad roadways or walkways
– Rider error such as not paying attention to surroundings
– A crash or collision into an object
– A dog chasing the cyclist
The steps you take after a bike accident can be essential to your case. If you get into a bike accident, keep these tips in mind:
1. Don’t leave the accident scene until you speak with the police, even if you don’t think you’re injured. In many cases, accident victims don’t begin to feel pain until hours or days after the crash.
2. Don’t try to negotiate with the driver. Some drivers may accept the blame only to recant later to the insurance company. It’s best to wait for the police so they can document the incident.
3. Obtain contact information from any witnesses nearby.
4. Take photos of the scene, your bike, the other vehicle (if possible) and any injuries you sustained.
If you’ve been injured in a bike accident involving a motor vehicle, you can get the help you need from George Bush Law. Contact our injury lawyer at George Bush Law and let us help you with your bicycle accident claim.